In memory of our friend Jeff "Coach Pig" Jones who passed away 2 years ago. Jeff had plan to have Ticks tournament in New Year day, and put it in North Carolina chess calendar. He could not make it. To honor him, and to continue his spirit to grow chess in North Carolina, we like to have this tournament for his memorial every year.
Jeff wanted time control same with the year of the tournament. It will be one big section with five rounds of action chess. We added a feature to remember Jeff. There will be prize for dutch games (1.d4 f5!) that won by black. Jeff loves to play dutch.
Chacha Nugroho and Mark Indermaur have decided to run 2021 Ticks Online. This year will be a bit different:
- We keep the "2021 Ticks", but since 30 minutes is too long for online games, we decide to divide the number into 2 rounded up. It will be 1011 seconds, increament 2. Or we can say G17+2 (game 17 minutes, increment 2).
- Five Rounds, Swiss System.
- USCF rated, online here and Lichess as playground. Play from your home. Pairing will be posted in this website, and when you click your board, you will play it in Lichess.
- We have fixed round times: 10:00 am, 10:45 am, 11:30 am, 12:15 pm, 01:00 pm (no lunch break). You are home, so you can eat while playing.
- You can request 2 half pts byes before the round starts. There is a tournament at 1 pm in Chess.Stream, so you can request last round bye if you want to join the other tournament.
- North Carolina players only. If your USCF flag is not NC, please contact us if you like to play. This is a closed tournament for North Carolina players.
- Entry fee is donation, and it is up to you how much you want to donate $0 - $100. After prizes deduction, all fund will be donated to HFSA (Heart Failure Society of America). This is the organization that Jeff wanted to support.
- If you would like to donate, but not playing in the tournament, please let us know.
- Prizes: 1st: $80, 2nd: $50, 3rd: $20. Class prizes: $50 and $20. Dutch prize: $30 divided by winners. Prizes are guaranteed, and we may increased the prize depending on the early donations.
- What is dutch prize? If you play black, and your game start with d4, and you play f5, and you win the game, then you can claim dutch prize.
- Zoom and camera is required. Zoom link will be posted here.
- If you want to visit Jeff's obituaries, click here.
- If you want to visit Jeff's Facebook remembering page, click here.
- If you have any question, please contact Chacha Nugroho or Mark Indermaur.
Chess Stream and Indermaur Chess Foundation